Sawyer Creek Hotel    On the first of September, 1915, John Wiegand moved his family to the town of Wheatfield. He purchased property from Jacob Knoell, including a building about thirty-five years old on the cross of Nash Road and Niagara Falls Boulevard. This location turned out to be a perfect spot for the farmers to stop and rest on their way to and from town. On the Nash road side, the, the town paid $7.00 yearly for Mr. Wiegand to maintain a water pump and trough for horses.
    There was also a shed on the boulevard side where the farmers could get their horses out of the elements while they caught up on the local news, had some of that great well water or maybe enjoyed a card game and a cool beer. That beer was cooled in the ice house (once located to the left of the barn that is still standing). The family purchased an ice pond in Sawyer Creek, and during the winter cut ice to be used for refrigeration in the warmer months. There was also a store (located in half of the present bar room). Plug Tobacco, cigarettes, candy, sardines, crackers and kerosene oil were the main items sold.s
    As the way people traveled changed, two gasoline pumps were added (where the water pump is now). The Boulevard was still paved with brick in 1920 and fifteen cents could purchase a gallon of gas. A good cold glass of beer could be purchased for a nickel and a big glass shooper was a dime. Many people remember the cigar lighter cutter and two brass spittoons. During prohibition Mr. Wiegand made his own “home brew”.
    The business was open seven days a week from 10 am to 1 am. To accommodate shift workers at Bell Aircraft during World War II, doors opened at 8:30 a couple mornings a week. The menu consisted of soup, ham and cheese sandwiches, limburger cheese and onion sandwiches and western sandwiches. “Keg birch beer” was another noted item. No dinner were served.
    When John Wiengand passed away in April, 1943, his sons Bill, John Jr., Adolph and Joe continued the business until their brother Fritz returned from the service. Mrs. Wiegand passed away in 1958, Fritz managed the business until his health failed in 1981.
    On December 5th 1984, the restaurant was taken over by former CFL Quarterback and Grey Cup champion Rick Cassata. He ran the business with his 3 children Dana, Justin & Brett creating a North Tonawanda dining mainstay and area landmark. Rick’s sons went on to Johnson & Wales University and Dana went on to pursue a career in elementary education and is currently studying for her doctorate degree. In 2001 Sawyer Creek was taken over by Brett while his brother Justin went on to open The Stillwater, a fine dining restaurant located in the heart of Buffalo’s entertainment district and is currently the Food and Beverage manager for the Buffalo Airport Hilton hotel.
    This past December Sawyer Creek celebrated its 25th Anniversary and “the creek” continues to bring the area a place that serves great food and good times with friends.